Hello and welcome back to Equity, Biomedarticles’s venture capital-focused podcast where we unpack the numbers behind the headlines.
First and foremost, Equity was nominated as Webby for the “Best Technology Podcast” !!! Drop everything and vote for equity! We would be glad. A quantity. And even if we lose, we’ll keep doing our thing and making each other laugh.
Natasha and Danny and Alex and Chris got together to chat about the week’s biggest news. And like every other week in the recent past, it was a busy one. But we did our best to get some M&A news, some unicorn news, and some funding news from smaller startups out.
Now for the show rundown, here’s what we discussed:
- The Discord-Microsoft deal is over, and Danny has a hot deal. In his view, the deal was mostly banker gossip more than a real possibility. In other words, more chaff than wheat. Agree or disagree, we’re excited to see Discord going public in a couple of years (quarters?).
- Mastercard bought Erkata and Danny was on hand to explain why we care about the deal. Sure, it was valued at $ 825 million, but some risk data from Finledger helped explain how much capital is flowing into similar companies. Let’s see how The Math works.
- Clearbanc has renamed itself a fintech unicorn and offers services along with sweet, sweet capital.
- UiPath’s initial public offering was finalized and trading began. It was a good first day and you can read here what we learned from talking to the CFO.
- Over in China, a country we haven’t covered enough lately, Laiye raised another $ 50 million. Like UiPath, it competes in the RPA world.
- For one, Deel had a good 2020. Revenue increased 20-fold last year and recently increased to a value of $ 1.25 billion.
- And then we finished with two starting rounds collected by the youngest Y Combinator graduates: here is the Queenly round and here is the albedo deal!
I’ll see you on monday.
Equity declines every Monday at 7:00 a.m. PST, Wednesday and Friday at 6:00 a.m. PST. So subscribe to us on Apple Podcasts, Covered, Spotify and all casts!